Crossroads User Interfaces feature articles - ACM Crossroads is the student magazine
of the Association for Computing Machinery. Crossroads has published several articles
about user interfaces, and this is an index to those articles.
- ACM SIGCHI Web Special Interest Area -
WWW SIA Introduction
- Adaptive Technology - This collection of
resources, aimed at website developers as well as and training and education providers,
offer practical help in ensuring websites are inclusive and can be interpreted by
assistive devices such as as text-based browsers and screen readers. Brought to you by the
NODE Learning Technologies Network.
- Adjustable Seating Ergonomic Computer
Chair - EquipoisE -this dynamic kneel-sit chair with lumbar support provides superb
comfort, perfect posture, pain relief and a healthy back">
- Alertbox - Jakob Nielsen's column on Web
- Alertbox: Current Issues in User
- Applied Visions, Inc.
- Ask Tog - The Webzine for Computer Professionals,
their Families, & Friends
- BayCHI - San Francisco chapter of ACM's SIGCHI -
Welcome to BayCHI
- Beta Research, Inc. - Consulting and research
in human factors, ergonomics, usability and safety in product and system design.
- Beyond Internet Business-as-Usual
- CALCampus Home Page
- CHI 98 - CHI 98
- CHI 98: Workshop: 12. Beyond
Internet Business-as-Usual - CHI 98 Conference Program
- DEWI Consultancy B.V. - DEWI Consultancy B.V. Maat in
- dotParagon - Design
Resources - Web Resources
- Eliane Alhadeff's
Virtual Office Homepage - Reseach and experiments on the "Office of the
- ERGO/GERO Human Factors Science - Design of
computer interfaces, data visualizations and other visual displays. Expert legal
- Ergonomics.org - Putting the principles of
ergonomics to work in practical ways.
- E-ZWEB ErgoMall - Your online source for ergonomic
computer accessories and valuable resources...
- Guide to Web Style
- Heuristic Evaluation -
"Discount Usability Engineering" method for quick-and-slightly-dirty design
- IFIP WG8.3
Conference '98 - CALL FOR PAPERS
- Image Maps
- Interaction Design
Patterns - A pattern language for designing user interfaces and other artifacts.
- Interface Hall of Shame - In-Depth
Critiques - Reviews of applications with particularly problematic user interfaces.
- Introducing the Dvorak
keyboard - Much information about the Dvorak keyboard, an alternative keyboard layout
designed for faster typing.
- L3D Home Page - The Center for LifeLong
Learning and Design--researching how humans can use technology to more effectively learn,
design, and collaborate.
- The lexiaProject Public GUI Initiative - A
freely available software development project to create a better graphical user interface
(GUI) for reading extended texts on a computer screen.
- Microsoft Agent - Agent,
Microsoft Agent, conversational interfaces, software agents, interactive characters,
life-like characters, social interface, ActiveX
- MIT Media Lab: Software Agents
Group - Home page for the Software Agents group at the MIT Media Lab, headed by Pattie
- The Need for Speed (Alertbox March 1,
1997) - All usability studies show that fast response times are essential for Web
usability: let's believe the data for once! Advice for speeding up sites despite the fact
that bandwidth is going down, not up.
- Office Ergonomics - Educational site for
workers, para-ergonomists, ergonomists. Posted by F-1 Ergonomics
- PC WEEK: Self-serve Web
- PC-Magazin, Comicchat etc.
- At ComputerBild online you'll find an information packed website, you've never got: year
2000 problem, about new discovering Melissa, Comicchat etc.
- Positive Support Review, Inc - A Los Angeles-based
management consulting firm that focuses on Management Information Systems and Internet
- Report on
OOPSLA97 - Report on OOPSLA97
- Response Time Overview -
Response Times: The Three Important Limits
- Right Now Web - Products
- Roadnews.com - How to travel with a laptop -
Extensive information for people who travel together with their laptop computers.
- Stretch Break ergonomic software for preventing
Repetitive Stress Injuries - Stretch Break helps prevent RSIs by reminding computer
users to take periodic breaks. Asks permission to show attractive full motion animated
stretches every 30 minutes (default). User selects number of stretches to do (default 3).
Each stretch lasts for 15 to 25 seconds, so you are back to work in one or two minutes.
Developed by a team of health care professionals. Site licenses available.
- Typing Injury FAQ
- WebHCI replaced
- What You See Is What You
Deserve - A column from the BSD Unix "Daemon News" e-zine about how GUIs are
not always the way to go
- Why you shouldn't use Microsoft
products - Outlines the problems caused by Microsoft's domination and monopoly power.
Includes a news section.
- Winhlp-L archive (WinHelp
mailing list searchable database) - WinHlp-L Mailing List Archive
- WinWhatWhere - Time & Usage Monitor for
- Usenet comp.human-factors - news: